Publishers C.H. Beck
C.H.BECK, established in 1763, is one of the great names among German publishing companies - and one of the richest in tradition. With more than 9,000 available titles including many electronic publications, with about 70 professional journals and an annual production of up to 1,500 new publications and new editions, C.H.BECK publishing company also ranks in the top tier in terms of quantity among German publishers of books and magazines. 550 employees work at the headquarters in Munich alone; a branch in Frankfort serves as editorial offices for most of the law journals. At these two locations, some 120 scientific editors support more than 14,000 authors. The former headquarters location in Nördlingen, a small medieval town in southern Germany, is now home to the company-owned ”Beck´sche” Druckerei, a modern printing facility along with a type-setting and multimedia publishing department with another 400 employees. Also located in Nördlingen is the Nördlinger Verlagsauslieferung, the publisher's own logistic and distribution centre. The Beck Group with a total of around 2,000 employees is completed by "Schweitzer Fachinformationen", a chain of specialized bookshops, and by still a few more professional publishing companies located in other German cities and abroad.
C. H. Beck is one of Germany's oldest publishing firms. The present owners are the brothers Dr. Hans Dieter Beck and Dr. h.c. Wolfgang Beck, who represent the sixth generation of direct descendants of the company's founder, Carl Gottlob Beck. In 1763, C.G. Beck acquired a printing firm that had already been operating in Nördlingen for 130 years and added a publishing company and a bookstore. The initials of his son and successor, Carl Heinrich Beck, survive in the company's present name C.H.BECK. The fourth-generation publisher Oscar Beck relocated the company to Munich in 1889, but the printing facility remained in Nördlingen. In the middle of the 19th century, the company began to expand into a diversified scientific publishing firm that at the same time continued to maintain a small literary program. For several decades, C.H.BECK was a leading theological publisher. Later on, theology took on a smaller role in the company’s catalogue as compared to other areas such as history, the study of antiquity, literary science and – last but not least – law, subjects which have shaped the work of Beck Publishing since the early 19th century and which continue to dominate today.
The current activities of the publishing house are divided into two domains: The Law - Taxes - Economics branch under the direction of Dr. Hans Dieter Beck and the Literature - Nonfiction - Science branch under the direction of Dr. Jonathan Beck. Actually, you are on the homepage of the law & economics branch; in order to change for the literature & science branch please click here.
The foundation of the second German Reich in 1871 became a significant factor in the expansion of the legal publishing program at C.H.BECK. Shortly before the turn of the century, this event led to the enactment of several important codifications for all of Germany, such as the Code of Civil Procedure of 1876, the Civil Code of 1896 and the Commercial Code of 1897. In the first half of the 20th century, the release of the consolidated statutes collections Sartorius (from 1903) and Schönfelder (1931), the Palandt commentary of the Civil Code (first edition published in 1938) and the Neue Juristische Wochenschrift (Legal Weekly Review, since 1947) established a body of standard works that continues to shape the company’s public image until today. The company also got off to a very early start in electronic publications and produced its first legal database on CD-ROM in 1989.
Today C.H.Beck supports all conceivable forms of publications in the field of law, such as large multi-volume works for specialists as well as modestly priced brochures for a wide audience, continuously updated loose-leaf folders as well as textbooks and professional journals, DVDs and Apps and, since the middle of 2001, a comprehensive online database named beck-online. It has always been the company's policy to meet the demand for legal publications in literally all areas of the law, while special emphasis has been put on the practical aspects of the legal professions, especially on commentaries and reference books. This large choice of printed and digital information is completed by the activities of BeckAkademie Seminare offering professional education and trainings on a variety of subjects since the 1980s.
C.H.BECK is a partner in Deutscher Taschenbuchverlag (dtv), where Beck'sche Gesetzestexte (compilations of law texts) are published in inexpensive paperback editions, and it is the owner of Schweitzer Fachinformationen, a group of specialized bookstores in more than 20 cities all over Germany. In addition, C.H.BECK i holds majority stakes in a number of legal publishing firms and seminar providers. Back in 1970, C. H. Beck significantly expanded its product line in economics as well as in legal program segments by taking over Franz Vahlen publishers. In 1999, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft in Baden-Baden and five years later Kommunal- und Schul-Verlag in Wiesbaden have also become members of the steadily growing C.H.BECK publishing group.
International activities began in 1993, when the publishing houses C.H.BECK Warsaw and C.H.BECK Prague were founded, which now rank among the leading law publishers in their countries. A few years later the company acquired majority stakes in the Swiss publishing company Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag in Basel and in a small Romanian law publisher – meanwhile renamed C.H.BECK Bucharest. In 2011 another branch office in Bratislava was opened and since 2015 Dike Verlag based in Zurich belongs to the Beck group. The diverse international activities are rounded out by the company's membership in Law Publishers in Europe (LPE) and by numerous co-publications with many other law publishing houses around the globe.